Saturday, August 10, 2013

Weekend with the Kiddie Scholars of Payatas


I know this one's another long overdue post but I've been meaning to write this entry about my recent adventure two Saturdays ago. On the same day my boss in Australia was celebrating his birthday, I went back to Quezon City not for work-related purposes but for another meaningful endeavor. I've always spent weekends at home but last July 27, I joined fellow employees as volunteers in an outreach program.

Our 20-member crew went to Payatas to meet the scholars from Payatas Orione Foundation. Those kids, from gradeschool to highschool are sponsored by the company I work for. More than just participating in the activity, one of the reasons I decided to join was out of curiosity. I have never been to Payatas and am only familiar of the place because of how it is being depicted on TV. And with my first hand experience of being in that place, I can say that while some things about it had changed, one thing still remains. The communities there needs all the help they can get.

The outreach involved activities and games for the kids, as well as the distribution of school supplies. Most of them, despite being thin and small for their age, are energetic (save some for the kids who belonged to my group as majority of them are shy-types). But they are not without dreams. When they were doing the group activity of illustrating their dreams, their drawings were simple, but shows promise. They are young but they have a clear picture of what and who they want to be in the future. 

I've always wanted to join our outreach activities but the previous ones did not materialize because of circumstances. This was my first and despite coming home kind of tired (well, that's part of growing old, you know) I enjoyed being with the kids. Indeed you never get too busy to forget doing a simple act of kindness to anyone and spending time with the kids, knowing them, playing games with them and knowing their dreams, you are never old to bring out the kid in you and be a kid at heart even just for a few hours.


(Photos from Microsourcing Facebook page)

No comments: