Monday, October 17, 2016

A Day at Lopez Museum and Library


Over the past week, as I was browsing through my Facebook News feed, I came across a post from the Lopez Museum and Library about the Free Museum Day  last October 15. I am familiar about the museum because we featured the place for an art and culture themed issue of the magazine where I wrote for some years ago.

I did not give the event and second thought and given that the event happened on a weekend, I decided to give it a shot. I am not really good with art appreciation, however, I simply wanted to explore the place and what I could see there.

The museum houses pieces from maps, books to original paintings of Filipino artists such as Felix Resurreccion Hidalgo and Juan Luna.




While I have never been to the National Museum to see the Spoliarium, it was in that weekend trip to the Lopez Museum that I had a first-time encounter with an original Juan Luna painting. Of those that I saw, this one, the Spanish Girl, caught my attention.



There was also a separate room that housed paintings by Spanish artist Juvenal Sansó. Incidentally, an ongoing exhibit entitled Two Halves of a Whole which featured some of his works was happening on the day I visited.






I was only in the museum for about an hour and a half but the visit proved to be worth it and it was a refreshing diversion to recharge my mind from a stress-filled week at work. It also an opportunity for me to be acquainted with the works of some known names in the field of arts given that I have a sibling who was once an art enthusiast himself (who even became a semi-finalist in a collegiate art competition) and simply because I reside in a place dubbed as the Art Capital of the Philippines. 



Lopez Museum and Library
Ground Floor Benpres Bldg.
Exchange Rd. cor Meralco Ave.
Ortigas Center Pasig

Museum Hours:
Monday - Saturday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm 

No comments: