Sunday With the Black Swan

photo from here

I was bitten by the curiosity bug over the weekend and in a way out of disappointment too perhaps for not winning the Best Picture in the recently-concluded Oscars thus I trooped to SM Megamall over the weekend to watch this movie. And while this was another plan not plotted in my calendar, to see the film was both a must and as an alternative since the supposed get-together with my highschool classmates did not push through last Saturday.

Black Swan is an American psychological thriller film directed by Darren Aonofsky and starring Natalie Portman, Vincent Cassel, and Mila Kunis. Its plot revolves around a production of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake ballet by a prestigious New York City company. In a way, I am quite familiar of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake as it was one of those pieces that I played back when I was still enrolled by my parents in piano classes.

Anyway, back to the movie, portraying the role of the swan was a test of character to Nina Sayers as the main role's got to be able to perform both personalities -- the white swan and the black swan. Such leads to a struggle as she tries to combine and live through both personalities to prove her worth for the role of the Swan Queen.

The twist comes as Nina tries to fight those inner demons, fears and psychotic episodes that sprung out for wanting to be the perfect character that she was not used to being.

On my part, I found the whole movie great, such that I do not regret setting some time just to watch it. Glad was I though to have watched the movie by myself as there were some scenes that were disturbingly inappropriate to the young audience. I myself cringe at some of those (so, it was good that I was not with someone during the movie). But all in all, Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis did great in portraying their respective roles. The movie could be more of a psychological thriller but on the other hand, analyzing through the whole film, I found some vital points enough to wake me up at this point as I am about to make a huge make or break decision too on my own.

0 comments

Thank you for dropping by and taking a peak on my thoughts. This page is for your comments.