Advice to Guys: Why You Should Date A Girl Who Reads

I'm doing this post in between being a domestic goddess and watching Oscars on TV. I was browsing Joy's Tumblr and found this wonderful post that I can really, really relate to. Date A Girl Who Reads has been one amazing post. I'd like to think it's one of the best things I have ever laid my eyes upon to read on.

I could relate to the said post because I am an avid reader myself. Being myopic cannot stop me from immersing in a wonderful book until the wee hours of the morning. And I don't bother if people would tag me for being such a huge bookworm that I am. It was a post that I'd reward a thumbs up. Really.

They say birds of the same feather pluck together. I think guys should read this one too.

Now, quoting these from Joy's account:

"Date a girl who reads. Date a girl who spends her money on books instead of clothes. She has problems with closet space because she has too many books. Date a girl who has a list of books she wants to read, who has had a library card since she was twelve."

Find a girl who reads. You’ll know that she does because she will always have an unread book in her bag.She’s the one lovingly looking over the shelves in the bookstore, the one who quietly cries out when she finds the book she wants.


It’s easy to date a girl who reads. Give her books for her birthday, for Christmas and for anniversaries. Give her the gift of words, in poetry, in song. Give her Neruda, Pound, Sexton, Cummings. Let her know that you understand that words are love. Understand that she knows the difference between books and reality but by god, she’s going to try to make her life a little like her favorite book. It will never be your fault if she does.

Girls who read understand that people, like characters, develop.
If you find a girl who reads, keep her close. You will smile so hard you will wonder why your heart hasn’t burst and bled out all over your chest yet. You will write the story of your lives. She will introduce your children to the Cat in the Hat and Aslan, maybe in the same day. You will walk the winters of your old age together and she will recite Keats under her breath while you shake the snow off your boots.

Date a girl who reads because you deserve it. You deserve a girl who can give you the most colorful life imaginable. If you want the world and the worlds beyond it, date a girl who reads.


While I am a girl, I'd like to say and think I am different. Because in the contrary, I spend money on books rather than the other stuff that girls like me go gaga over with -- bags, clothes, shoes, all that kikay things. Just like what was written in the blog post, I'd rather prefer a book for a gift rather than any other thing. Mom once told me that back when I was young, I asked her to enroll me to school just because I came across a classroom filled with books. I've fallen in love so much with hardcovers and paperbacks and I would not regret dating and falling in love with a guy who loves to read too. Because they are the type of people who will not bore you to death if you date them. Readers and bookworms are those people who can give you a wonderful time -- just by engaging in a conversation, and exchanging your thoughts that will last hours on end without you knowing that it's too late and it's time to go home and part ways.

Other people have this connotation to readers like I am as nerds. Yet, I don't bother.
At least for one, there's a written evidence that's giving nerds justice. Now guys, I am challenging you, would you date a girl who's world just revolves around pairs of Manolos ,Jimmy Choo, Dior and Prada which they can't even share with you (literally) or someone who spends time curled in bed, immersing on a title during stale hours but can wonderfully share something that's really worthwhile to you?

0 comments

Thank you for dropping by and taking a peak on my thoughts. This page is for your comments.