Sustainability Advocacy: Ecobricking 101

Measures to sustainability has been making a buzz online lately. With what we experience nowadays, from climate becoming hostile than how it was years ago, typhoons becoming more destructive than when it normally wasn't, the state of our watersheds tonhow polluted the air we breathe is, it's clearly obvious that our planet is in dire need of SOS.


I don't know when exactly I learned about ecobricks but this is one of the things that is making rounds online when you search on the topic of recycling and sustainable living. I first saw the idea on my Facebook news feed and thought this would be an interesting not to mention helpful project to do for the environment.


The idea involves putting single use plastics to another meaningful purpose. Ecobricks are  plastic bottles stuffed with clean and dry non-biodegradable wastes. These non-biodegradable materials could be items like plastics, straw, sachets, food wrappers and styrofoam.

Photo: The Plastic Solution Facebook page
The Plastic Solution, an environmental conservation organization released guidelines with regards to the ideal weight of ecobricks. I asked a few establishments that serve as drop off points for ecobricks and most of them informed me that the weight and compactness of ecobricks are important; as half-stuffed or bricks that aren't evenly stuffed can affect the quality of the ecobricks. Ideally, the minimum ecobrick weight is bottle volume multiplied by 0.35.

Stuffed ecobricks may be used as alternative fillers when constructing fences and/or walls for structures and establishments. It can also be a good material for plant boxes, benches and in some instances, furniture.


For my ecobricks, I decided using bottles made from "hard" plastic. Mineral water bottles can also be used, but I realized the material (particularly the body of the bottle) is made of soft plastic and can easily get punctured if it comes to close contact with sharp or pointed objects. Another thing to remember should you plan to make an ecobrick is it's important to make sure that plastic wrappers are clean and dry before stuffing them inside clean bottles. Wet and unwashed wrappers may accumulate gas and can cause the bottle to explode. 

Since venturing in this personal project, I already have six ecobricks (and trying to finish the seventh bottle as of this writing). And next to becoming an eco-warrior in my own way, this activity also allowed me to save money, and balance my finances because I spend my weekends at home instead of killing time in the mall or a coffee shop to unwind and rewire my mind which in turn lessens my expenses.

I still have a number of bottles to stuff and convert to ecobricks and maybe, will stop temporarily once I'm done filling the remaining bottles. I am also looking out for possible drop off points or establishments that will accept ecobricks so to those who will be reading my post, please feel free to shoot me a comment with the details and I will be happy to check it out.


0 comments

Thank you for dropping by and taking a peak on my thoughts. This page is for your comments.