Bucket List Item #74


Despite being born and raised in a town dubbed as the Art Capital of the Philippines, I have a love-hate relationship with the arts. While I enjoy visiting museums once in a while and I can somehow appreciate artworks, things become different when I have to create an art piece myself. Between my brother and I, it was him who happened to be the lucky one to inherit the “art-loving genes” of my Papa (which, I guess makes him fit to be called his “junior” and namesake).

 

Knowing that I have limited ability with arts, design, and colors, I would often get help from my brother. It’s a good thing too that my seven-year-old niece Sofia has an eye for visual arts. She’s the one who helps me pick the color combinations for the monthly spread of my planner. A monthly activity which, since last month, became our bonding project which she has been looking forward to doing.

 

Even if I don’t possess the expertise in the arts, that did not stop me from trying a hand and including art-related pursuits in my bucket list. When I tried projects that involved paint by numbers painting kits, I realized that it’s something that’s also a joy to do. It was both relaxing and addicting at the same time -- but in a good way.

 

Just a few months ago, after seeing a blank canvass and the storage box filled with art and painting materials that I acquired after being at home for a year due to this ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, I came up with a spur-of-the-moment decision of creating something that can probably add some life to my melancholic coral pink bedroom wall. I realized that this is one of my the benefits of being asked to try the hermit crab kind of life. I got to devote time to explore  pursuits that I am not even sure I am capable of doing. After reaching out for advice from my art-loving friends Beth and Jim, armed with my paintbrush, acrylic paints, and the blank canvass, I locked myself in my room to get down and dirty with this impromptu project.  



Maybe, I was just that bored too because I also didn’t have any design in mind when I began my work. It was even a simple design. Too ordinary, unlike the ones done by those who are really passionate about visual arts. When I finished the thing after three days, I must admit feeling a bit dissatisfied because I forgot the element of balance in my own work (I missed the rule that there has to be an equal mix of dark and light colors!). But then, while I was reading through my bucket list and reached item 74, I realized, I was able to finish one artwork. Which makes it the fruition of this particular thing on my “to do” list.


While my work may not be as avant-garde as the ones made by renowned artists, the words of my friend Beth echo in my brain: Art is art. You can call it yours. I thought it’s fine if visual art isn’t in love with me. I found love in another form of art which is literature and creative writing anyway. We’re head over heels in love with each other and I'm so much fine (and still happy) with that.   








 

0 comments

Thank you for dropping by and taking a peak on my thoughts. This page is for your comments.