Conversations as My Coping Mechanism

(Photo: Unsplash.com)

If you’re living in Luzon like me, today marks Day 401 since the lockdown. 99 more days before we hit Day 500.

Now, there are two questions I want to ask you. Kamusta ka? Kaya pa ba?

As I type this down, a part of me thinks of the idea of congratulating myself because I was able to stay afloat and still (mentally) stable in this admittedly crazy situation for that long. Let’s all admit it, to be advised to stay home for a day is just pretty normal (though it could be inconvenient at times too), but to be told such rule for more than a year can be somewhat insane.  

To live like a hermit for a year and miss the totally different kind of life from the previous years can somewhat be stressful. It took me a year into this lockdown before things started to sink-in. I remember telling my mom a month ago that it is now when I am already starting to feel anxious, worried and exhausted at times. This kind of lockdown lifestyle was very far from the “on the go” type of life that I was so used to before pandemic shot things down to the ground.

And I guess that admission of my fear, and being vocal about my feelings related to this ongoing struggle somehow helped ease things up. While I was browsing the Messenger app on my phone, I came across the discovery that I was in touch with just one person within the past year just as the lockdown was announced. Going through our lengthy conversations, part of me was in disbelief-- because we were able to literally be in constant communication while the chaos brought by COVID19 was trying to inflict damage to the world. For more than a year.

In Episode 2 of the Youtube Channel Brgy. AAssumtion, it tackled the possibilities that may be brought by the “new normal” including measures we that we might all be doing in order to protect ourselves and those around us. That while there is a chance that we will no longer be able to return to the old normal, it stressed that isolation should not be the new way of life in the new normal because this is not the essence and definition of what communities and families really are.

The relatable part of the episode came when it mentioned the importance of reaching out. How a simple text, chat or phone call to ask “how are you?” can mean a lot to someone who might be needing it.  You see, as of this writing, I have two friends trying to conquer this COVID-19 struggle. One tested positive and is spending his treatment and recovery period alone in a hospital room, and the other one, while blessed to be spared from the physical malady, is isolated in her own bedroom away from some of the members of her family. And since this health crisis prohibits visiting them and being with them physically, my days now included daily chat messages of “how are you?” and “how are you feeling?” alongside a host of different stories. It made me realize that despite this tough time, we are still lucky to be provided with different and modern means to still let our presence felt by someone who needs our company, and this is the appropriate time to really utilize that. 

Just like actions, words have the power to heal as well. Next to providing some level of comfort and emotional support to friends dealing a difficult situation, the conversations I had with three particular friends also eased the worry and anxiety that I am occasionally feeling. Those chats enabled me to realize a few of my plans (and in a way, get to act on some of them), trade thoughts with them about life and future plans, and even talk about a few crazy things that made me teary-eyed in laughter. That while reaching out may be a usual gesture, it seemed to be a win-win situation as I am able to alleviate their loneliness and they on the other hand, get to let me use God’s gift of imagination in just the right proportion by keeping my worrywart side from consuming me and bothering me too much.

We all have our coping mechanisms in fighting this struggle may it be time, talent or even words. We just need to find what works best for us, utilize it and maintain it. Yes, a pandemic like COVID19 sure is scary. But we must also realize that this should not stop and shut us entirely from people around us just because of (useless) fear. That unless you’re a hermit crab, you still need to interact with those around you (but be sure to be mindful of the safety measures, okay?). You’re human after all. And interaction is a big part of human existence. If you believe hearing your voice works wonders to your favorite plant or pet, imagine what kind of wonder it can do with a person who’s longing to hear from you.  

0 comments

Thank you for dropping by and taking a peak on my thoughts. This page is for your comments.