My COVID-19 Vaccination Story

Photo: Mika Baumeister/ Unsplash.com

If there is one thing that I consider to be the highlight of this month, it is one event that I didn't even think of happening sooner: I finally received that long-awaited COVID-19 vaccine. 

I am just like other people; patiently waiting for their turn to finally get that jab and somehow be protected against a disease that has been crippling a country and an economy. But with the turn of events, I confess that I was already starting to lose hope to finally have my turn and be vaccinated this year (or at least, by November which happens to be my birth month.) 

The (Long Awaited) Day

It was my cousin Jovelle who informed me that our mayor just announced via Facebook that a quick substitution list will be implemented because of the low turnout of scheduled individuals to be vaccinated last Tuesday, August 3. Our mayor likewise informed that the said approach will prioritize those belonging to A1 to A3 categories (medical frontliners, senior citizens, and those with comorbidities). While my mom and my cousin pushed me to come to the designated vaccination center, and despite that I am qualified (a part of those under A3), I was adamant at first because I was thinking, given that it was just announced, people will surely flock to the venue and I might not be able to get in line to get the vaccine.

But at the back of my head, I kept hearing "let's just give it a try." So armed with the two documents required for those under A3, I went to the venue at around 1:45 pm. My other cousin Joice happened to be there so we were buddies in the whole process of falling in line, waiting, until we were finally ushered to the area where we filled out the forms before getting vaccinated.

After going through the whole process of signing some paperwork, the orientation which advised us of the possible side effects post-vaccination and what we can and cannot do after getting vaccinated, we were informed that the vaccine we're about to receive was Janssen, a brand from Johnson & Johnson. Somehow, I felt relieved. It's a single-dose vaccine which is something my mom also hoped I would get because it meant that I won't need to go back for a second shot. After what has been six hours, we were all done and cleared to go home at 8 pm.

The Aftermath: Mild or Wild?

Now I know, the next thing you're about to ask is what happened next. Before getting the shot, we were informed of the possible side effects that come with the vaccine. As for me, I felt fine the first two hours. It's by 10 pm of that same day when things started to "get real." The next part of this post is not meant to scare you but more to inform you of what happened to me after getting the shot because while side effects are normal, it varies from person to person. What could be mild side effects to you may not apply to me. Just a clear note however, that in case of serious side effects, it is best to see your doctor or perhaps proceed to the nearest hospital for immediate medical attention.


Next to the slight pain in my arm, the other common side effect I experienced was headache. I've always known headaches so I thought that I could just sleep it off without taking anything to relieve it. But I was wrong. This time, the headache lasted throughout the night until the morning of Wednesday, August 4. By 6:30 am, I realized I can't take the pain any longer so I popped a paracetamol and that's the only time I was able to finally sleep -- until 11 am.

When I woke around lunchtime, it was then I realized that something else isn't right. I woke up with swollen eyelids and itchy rashes on my forehead -- signs that I am going through a rare yet serious side effect of the vaccine: an allergic reaction. I immediately took an antihistamine to control it, but it was also a good thing that my brother's friend was visiting us at home that day. His girlfriend (who happened to be my former schoolmate) is a doctor and was able to see me through video call. She immediately told me to take another type of antihistamine, diphenhydramine hydrochloride which can control the allergy faster. I am familiar with the said drug because it was the same medication that was administered to me three years ago when I was rushed to the ER due to a severe allergic reaction. 

It would be helpful to keep track of your symptoms after receiving the vaccine just like I did. If you can also write down when you felt it, it would also be better. I decided to keep track of the side effects I experienced in case the worst thing happens and I might need to be rushed to the ER. At least the doctor will have all the details he/she might need. 

Blame it on the body ache, the discomfort of the allergic reaction, and the medicines I took to control the side effects, (I was also on paracetamol together with the antihistamine because I developed a low-grade fever on Wednesday night), I was either the character Ma Dong-chan from Melting Me Softly when he received an experimental vaccine, or, just like what I jokingly told my friend Miguel, I felt like I'm someone pregnant during the first trimester because I only did one thing the whole time: SLEEP! And he was right when he once told me that you will need a day or two to rest and recover from the side effects of the vaccine because it's also during that period that your immune system is trying to do its work. 



I continued to document those aches and pains and anything else that I noticed until August 5. The nurse told us during the orientation that the side effects could be felt for 3 days. It's kind of odd that while I felt like shit during the first day, I woke up feeling better on the morning of August 5 as if nothing life-threatening happened the day before. I was able to move around and do some chores, but I was still careful not to overdo it. And while I got to leave the house to do some errands in preparation for another round of stricter lockdown the following day, those tasks were really quick and I didn't leave the house unaccompanied.

The Questions

When my mom saw how bad the side effects of the vaccine were on me, I remember telling her not to ask me if I am regretting my decision to get vaccinated. Despite the inconvenience and the fact that the side effects rendered me "incapable" for a day, I have no regrets about getting that jab over and done with. Despite what I went through, at least, I can finally breathe some sigh of relief knowing that I am protected against an invisible enemy because one of the things I was also fearing about is that the comorbidity that I have makes me an easy target for COVID-19. I'm just trying to save myself from having to be rushed to the hospital in such a critical time as this or even worse, having to be intubated if I get to be unlucky and be infected. 


As to the things I can share with for those who are waiting to get their dose of the vaccine, there are a few things I can still recall. These were the things advised to us by the nurse who gave the orientation before we received the vaccine:


  1. It's okay to take a bath even after getting the shot (especially because you're exposed to people outside while waiting for your turn!)
  2. Never skip your maintenance medications (even for a day) just because you just got vaccinated.
  3. Refrain from drinking alcoholic beverages for a month. The reason? Alcohol weakens the component of the vaccine (yes, the nurse explained that to us during the orientation)
  4. If you can, refrain from taking caffeinated drinks for at least three days for the same reason as stated with alcoholic drinks.
  5. Try to avoid food or substances that can trigger an allergic reaction after getting vaccinated. It is something that I am now mindful of because I remembered that right after getting vaccinated, Joice and I treated ourselves to fried chicken(!) and that may have contributed to the allergic reaction that I experienced hours later. So, I might try to abstain from those for at least two days in the future, just to be on the safe side.

Today is day 3 and I'm happy to say that I continue to feel better. If you are still apprehensive to get yourself vaccinated, I suggest you think it through. COVID-19 is a serious threat and is continuing to be so. And since we don't have any cure yet, a vaccine is our only hope, and is the next best thing we can have to protect both ourselves and those around us. While I can't be a responsible taxpayer just yet this time, I guess to be responsible for my own safety and that of those around me is the next best thing that I can do. And come to think of it, August is here which means the "ber" months will soon arrive. For sure you still want to celebrate more Christmas Days with your loved ones, right? If that's not a valid reason for you to get vaccinated and be responsible, I don't know what else will.

0 comments

Thank you for dropping by and taking a peak on my thoughts. This page is for your comments.