Friends Save You From the Toxicity of the World

I really can't remember the last time I did a "ramen with the girls" type of bonding session.

As I type this post, the lines "you win some, you lose some is running in my head. Despite some positive developments happening in my career the past few weeks, I must admit that I am also going through a rough patch on the personal side of things.

And I won't deny that it's hard -- or should I say, exhausting. 

But if there's something that's somehow keeping my sanity intact aside from holding myself in the four corners of my personal space, and writing my thoughts down, it is the presence of friends who came to my aid when I was discreetly screaming for help. 

Kim, Beth and I formed an unexpected friendship because of Wattpad and our love for writing. But they are among the few friends that I have who I can compare to Santa's Little Helpers. While we don't get to see each other as often as we wanted, I believe we have each other's backs especially on a number of things. Their presence have been really helpful for me for a number of times, especially when situations are hard and exhausting for me.

I want to believe that writers are not just good at telling stories. Having writers as trusted friends, I can attest that they are also great listeners -- something which became helpful for me especially with what I am going through in the last few days. I don't mind if my set of friends is starting to shrink together with my age, because after all, in that small circle are the genuine and trusted ones. As one becomes older, the infamous line "quality over quantity" becomes a line to live by. When I told them the situation I am in, I was already fine with communicating with them virtually. But what made a part of me melt was when they both messaged me on our group chat asking if I can wait for them at the mall where I was so the they can keep me company as I talk (or should I say vent) it out while we bond over coffee. 

What they did reminds me of a line I once heard from a stranger: When someone is important to you, you don't find time. You make time. 

While we were together for just two and a half-hours, it was a meaningful bonding session as we did a lot of "Tita things"; from chatting over coffee, trying out ramen, grocery shopping to celebrating the upcoming development in my worklife which took the backseat for almost three years. While we started out unconventionally, they've been with me in both the fun times and the tough ones. Their presence, even for more than a couple of hours allowed me to escape the toxic situation at home that has been drowning me for days now. I do hope that in time, I can make it up to them and I get do the same gestures that they did for me when I was dealing with my own struggles. 

0 comments

Thank you for dropping by and taking a peak on my thoughts. This page is for your comments.