Kasarian-Kasarinlan: Celebrating Gender Independence Through Art


Part of the tasks that I carry out in my current job as a planning coordinator is collating quarterly accomplishment reports from different offices. And by accomplishments, those would include various events being held in the workplace, or those activities that are either organized by or participated by the students and our personnel.  

About a week ago, I decided to give this process of gathering accomplishments a different approach by deciding to drop by one of the planned events for May. After being invited by one of the organizers, I opted to swing by the the opening of the exhibit entitled Kasarian-Kasarinlan which is currently on display at Giant Dwarf Art Space which is just a mere 15-minute drive from my residence.   


Kasarian-Kasarinlan is an event spearheaded by the Gender and Development Unit of the University of Rizal System Angono campus in collaboration with the students from the Bachelor of Fine Arts Major in Visual Communication of the College of Arts and Letters. I personally knew one of the proponents of the event, Prof. Rodler Villalon as he is a friend of my younger brother when they were both taking up Fine Arts at Far Eastern University.  

While visiting museums, galleries, and art exhibits out of whim is not new to me, to be present to this event seemed to be a breathe of fresh air of some sorts. Not only because it was an accepted invitation from a colleague (and common friend), but because this type of affair allowed me to observe not only an activity involving a unit that I often deal with, but also gave me with a chance to be acquainted with some socially-relevant issues. In this case, it's in relation to matters, and concerns surrounding the members of  the LGBTQIA community, and how they ardently long for gender independence, and probably, acceptance; because whether we admit it or not, we still live in a society where individuals belonging to this group are still scrutinized by many with raised eyebrows.   


While some of my colleagues advised me that attending events for the sake of the reports isn't really important, I suppose giving in to my lakwatsera whims and combining it with a bit of work every now and then isn't a bad idea either. When my schedule and free time permit, I know I must get out into the world every now and then. It was also my first time at Giant Dwarf during the exhibit's opening day, and by being present in one of my colleagues' event, I not only ended up discovering a new place, but it also provided me with the opportunity to learn about how people who belonged to this unique community rally their advocacies, fight for, and communicate their beliefs and choices through a medium in which they excel -- visual arts.

You can still visit Kasarian-Kasarinlan art exhibit until June 4, 2023 at Giant Dwarf Art Space located at 015 Manila East Road Hi-way corner Dona Justa Street, Brgy. San Roque, Angono, Rizal. The gallery is open Tuesday to Friday, from 10 am to 5 pm. 


0 comments

Thank you for dropping by and taking a peak on my thoughts. This page is for your comments.