Her Private Life Hangover


Source

In a post I wrote months ago, I mentioned how intrigued I've been to watch Romance is a Bonus Book. But there was another Kdrama that I also looked forward to watching -- 
Her Private Life. When I read that Park Min Young is starring in the series, I thought that maybe I'll enjoy watching this one too as I have seen her other rom-com, What's Wrong With Secretary Kim.

Her Private Life tells the story between an artist and eventually museum director, Ryan Gold (Kim Jae-wook) and museum curator Sung Deok-mi whose "private life" is the center of this Kdrama because next to working for Cheum Museum of Art, she is a fangirl of a Kpop idol, Cha Shi-an of the group White Ocean. Trouble ensues when a rumor breaks out that Deok-mi and Shi-an are dating. So in order to protect Deok-mi from the threats of Shi-an's diehard fans,  Ryan Gold suggests that he and Deok-mi pretend to date each other instead. Another challenge was when the previous director's daughter, Sindy, (who is also a Shi-an fanatic) gets to be an intern in the museum with a mission: to prove that Deok-mi and Ryan aren't really dating. But the question of where their play-pretend relationship leads them is worth watching as you move from one episode to another (at least, that's how it was for me).


I honestly thought I would quit watching the second episode because I got annoyed with Ryan Gold's aloof personality. But towards the end of that episode (and after knowing that there's such a thing as caffeine allergy which made me think of my coffee consumption for a moment), I just found myself watching one episode after another which made me disregard my "one episode per night" rule. The decision was worth it. In one of the episodes, I even felt like being slapped by reality over the subject of having a little courage-- especially when it comes to love. Yup, at some point it made me remember a former professor's advice: follow the path to romance!


Pardon me for the lack of words on how I could describe my thoughts on this series. I guess it's because things have yet to sink in as I only finished binge-watching the series hours ago. But next to feeling giddy seeing the chemistry between the two characters, Her Private Life offered some surprising twists in the story. I've always wondered why those "bubble-themed" paintings were that important to Ryan. Who is Lee Sol and Heo Yoon-jae? What is the significance of Lee Sol and Cha Shi-an to Ryan? In all those, I was left with a surprised reaction when the answers are revealed. But what made me cry the most was when Sung Deok-mi found out the truth about the child named Deok-soo and what happened to him. 



In general, Her Private Life was worth the late-night binge-watching. I can absolutely give a thumbs up to the characters, the plot, the feelings it will give the audience and even the OST (Float and Maybe are my favorites-- I even play that on repeat!) Next to people who are after some feel-good romantic comedy, this show is ideal for those who are inclined to arts and the artistic life and if you are intrigued about the life and how it is like to be a fangirl.  


0 comments

Thank you for dropping by and taking a peak on my thoughts. This page is for your comments.