One Night, Two Celebrations

Social events kept filling my days after I resigned from my job in the academe weeks ago. While it’s only been a week since the “ber” month started, I’ve already been to two meaningful celebrations: a birthday and reunion that happened on the same day.

My friend Jonathan turned another year older last Saturday. Despite the rainy weekend weather, together with my other paraphernalia, armed with my umbrella and wearing my blue sweater, off I went to Señor Apetito, a rooftop alfresco restaurant owned by my grade school classmate, Don Miranda and his wife, Chim.

Jon, Ma’am Cez, and their daughter Ciljon arrived in the venue minutes earlier. Ma’am Cez’s sister, Rose, her plus one, Arvin and her daughter Psalms were present too as we enjoyed the cool afternoon weather and exchanged conversations over the awesome burgers of Señor Apetito as we waited for the other guests to arrive. While I had could have chosen the more practical option to stay  home and curl in bed given last weekend’s “snuggle weather”, it has always been a tradition that the three of us meet up to celebrate each other’s birthdays.




Celebration #2 was the other reason why I couldn’t let the rainy weather stop me from going to the events scheduled that day. I was still a planning officer when my friend, former professor, and campus paper adviser, Ma’am Cez informed me of the upcoming Petroglyphs Editors Night, a gathering requested by the organization’s first editor-in-chief, Percival just to have some bonding time and be reunited with the former staff and editors-in-chief of The Petroglyphs. Being one of the former EIC’s, I simply couldn’t miss this for the world especially because the campus publication is the sole  organization I truly devoted my time and talent to  during my days as a journalism student.

It was one happy night spent over burgers, nachos and coffee as everyone exchanged conversations while out table was filled with photos and random old issues of literary folio, newspaper and magazines produced over the years during the reign of the editors and staff present that evening. Even if this is just a “prelude” to the main plan of another “per batch” editorial board reunion, it was a sight to behold to see the so-called “cream of the crop” gathered together in spite of each other’s hectic schedules.     

0 comments

Thank you for dropping by and taking a peak on my thoughts. This page is for your comments.