10 Love Lessons I Learned From Binge Watching Meteor Garden


I never thought I would write a nostalgic throwback post on Christmas Eve. Blame it on the recent news that Meteor Garden will get a millennial remake, but for the past weeks, I found myself binge watching Taiwanese dramas. First on my list, Meteor Garden of course!

When this drama series was shown here in the Philippines 14 years ago, I was still in college at 19. A few weeks ago, I remember confessing to my office mate Cherry about re-watching the show again. To which I told her how your perception differs as you age.


And true enough, as I was watching Meteor Garden's episodes, I can't help but realize that. Iba ang pagtingin mo sa mga sitwasyon at bagay when you are only 19, but it becomes all the more different when you are 33.


And that includes love and relationships. At 19, you only see love as that one with handsome boys that give you the giddy feels. But watching this drama series at a time I consider myself to be "old", left me with a few realizations. And those were lessons that I never learned back when I was a teenager filled with "kilig" hormones over a group of boys who never spoke English on TV!


So what did watching Meteor Garden at 33 made me realize? That would be these:




  1. Sacrifices (and doing them) are really an essential ingredient, and is always present to any relationship.
  2. While they say actions speak louder than words, there also are times that Love has to be declared.
  3. Patience always come with wonderful rewards.
  4. It might look complicated, even difficult. But despite the adversities along the way, love is still the most wonderful feeling in the world.
  5. Though they might look complicated, silent guys more often are men of sense. They think sensibly and deeply -- something which compensates their silence.
  6. It pays to have a kick-ass sister  and group of friends as a source of support -- and someone to seek help.
  7. You don't really need to mold yourself and be someone else just to fit in and and find love. Sometimes, even a strong character is enough to earn one's respect and more -- love included.
  8. Love is a powerful force that can really transform a person. It could bring out a kind heart even out of a bad boy.
  9. Bad boys can still possibly become ideal boyfriends.
  10. Even if people and circumstances are against two persons in love, with perseverance and faith, love wins -- always.

I still have a number of episode to watch. The kilig feeling is still present just like how it was when I watched it in 2003, though I know that just like me, the characters in the series have also grown up and gotten old. And while I have yet to see the remake (it's scheduled to come out next year), I guess I would still prefer the first and original version than any others.






0 comments

Thank you for dropping by and taking a peak on my thoughts. This page is for your comments.