Of LDR and Bonds Strengthened by the Pandemic


With the lockdown that’s been happening left and right in the different parts of the world, it’s no doubt that one of the most affected area of our life is the limited chance for personal interaction. This ongoing COVID19 pandemic seriously took a toll not just on our physical and emotional well-being, but somehow also affected our relationships with other people.

As I type this entry, I am listening to another episode of Heart Evangelista’s adulting series on Youtube. She and her husband, Sorsogon governor Chiz Escudero tackle some issues associated with being an adult in this critical time. And one of the topics they discussed was the subject of surviving and dealing with LDRs or long distance relationships, a timely thing especially with this ongoing worldwide health crisis. For someone who has been so used to having an active and lively social life, this pandemic caused such part of their life to suffer and be put on hold indefinitely in an instant. While it indeed is difficult to be in this trying time, I want to say that I’d agree with what Governor Escudero said about this: That while LDRs exist, we are luckier nowadays to be provided with a number of means to reach and communicate with friends and loved ones. Unlike before when what we can only rely to are the traditional methods that seem to take forever to yield results. Some things do work out despite the distance and the difficult circumstances. All it takes are appreciation, communication and understanding especially of the situation.

I know some people will raise their eyebrows and would even want to tell me that it’s easier said than done. Well, in a way yes. But even before this crisis happened, I’ve already had such long-distance relationships (mostly friendships) with a few (good) people. Some of them I am lucky to see regularly but there also are others who I only saw personally once or twice and the last time it even happened was decades ago. 


A few weeks back, as I was going through my things, I came across old letters from those friends I mentioned above. And while reading through each one, I can’t help but realize how this current situation also made such bond, the friendship to grow stronger and be more treasured. This lockdown situation even became a generous opportunity for me to communicate with a friend more and on a regular basis nowadays. Yes, it might be boring to be confined inside our homes for what is now more than 300 days in restriction-laden quarantine, but this trying time also enabled me to have meaningful discussions with the person. It is now I get to finally ask those long overdue questions that I should have asked decades back. The lockdown suddenly became the “second chance” that I was given to make up for the first instance that I missed. Those conversations uncovered some truths and revelations -- confessions that while are not flashy, were surprising enough to make my eyes teary either because of laughter, surprise or even the sincerity in the admission. While it worries me sometimes about how I will start again in this time of chaos, I also appreciate the fact that this pandemic became a blessing of some sorts as well, because I was able to devote time to nurture the friendship that miraculously survived even through just letters, expensive long-distance phone calls (back then) and regular messages on Messenger.  Something that I never prioritized then because I was  either too occupied by other things or drowning in the demands of career-related commitments.    

They say nothing in the world stays the same and remains for good. And just like one of the mantras that I firmly do believe in, walang forever. Just like any other difficult moments we encounter, this too shall pass. Despite of the struggle we are in at the moment, life can still be fun and meaningful -- if only we give it a try to find out how.

0 comments

Thank you for dropping by and taking a peak on my thoughts. This page is for your comments.