My 2022 Reading List: Dear Doctor Joey


If I could let you see my online shopping cart, next to stickers for my bullet journal, the other thing you'll notice that I frequently purchase nowadays would be my favorite item: brain food, or in the simplest word: books! Most titles are written by homegrown authors.

I got my copy of Dear Doctor Joey by Ayris Alcachupas days after Ash Wednesday, which makes this one of those long overdue posts. Anyway, I was enticed to get a copy of this book weeks after it was launched online on Valentine's Day. At that time, I had just finished reading her other book, My BFF's BF. I was prompted to order the second book online to follow the story of two of its characters, Blue and Joey Nikki.

A social serye I encountered from a Facebook page, Dear Doctor Joey chronicles the story of Blue and Joey Nikki post-breakup after being a couple for five years. Despite she's already successful in her career as a pediatrician, Joey Nikki still longs to find answers to the questions surrounding their breakup and why Blue suddenly left her without a trace except for a breakup letter.

Next to its two main characters, the other people who are important in their story are also present in Dear Doctor Joey, as the book is not just focused on romance but on long-term friendships too. Ayris Alcachupas was able to narrate the installment of Joey and Blue's story well. While I confess that I rarely read books by local authors, hers was one of the works that left me engaged and literally up all night for some days. This book revived my wanderlust and made me want to carry out my plan to travel to Cebu, which is a must-visit place on my bucket list. While others might see a 12-chapter book as time-consuming to read, it wasn't the case for me. Reading this book left me entertained and interested, I didn't care if it was way past my bedtime because I was curious to find out what happens one scene after another. In some way, I was just like Joey, searching for many answers. From the reason for the breakup, if Joey gets the closure she needs; the link of the story's villain to Joey's admirer colleague (this is something I consider as one of the book's "plot twists"), to whether or not Blue and Joey Nikki will be entitled to a second chance and a happy ending.

If someone asks me for Wattpad authors with worth-reading stories, this book is something that I will not hesitate to recommend especially for those who are at the point and situation of wanting to let some things go -- because sometimes circumstances have their way of saying things are over yet until Fate intervenes to say so.



   

0 comments

Thank you for dropping by and taking a peak on my thoughts. This page is for your comments.