In a Way, Mom Was a Bit Amiss

I really didn't intend to be a writer at first -- I remember telling one of my professors what I really wanted when I get my diploma--a sportscaster inspired by dad's love for sports. Back then, I knew Mom was a bit disagreeing about my plan of becoming a writer. She actually wanted me to be a teacher (which I once tried and was happy I did) because of a lot of perils of the writing profession; and the fact that writing won't make you an overnight millionaire. I know even up to now, she still has that stereotype.

When I applied for a position in one of the biggest publishing companies here, I was of course ecstatic. It took me three years just to get an interview (yep, try and try) but when mom recognized one of the editors who interviewed me for the job, I was a bit disheartened by her comment when she said, "ay, anak magaganda pala ang nandoon. You don't fit there."

As if a job depends on beauty. I have Anne Hathaway's Andy Sachs character in The Devil Wears Prada. I'm more of being a corporate girl than being fasyon (from a fashion editor's lingo). I was juggling between corporate writing and teaching at that time and suppose being in the fashion industry isn't really my destiny. I decided to really concentrate on corporate writing.

in this photo: KC Concepcion with MMLDC staff

Who says there's no glamour in my job as a corporate-slash-HR writer? This photo was taken yesterday morning when KC Concepcion and Piolo Pascual visited MMLDC for a shoot on one of the episodes of Lovers in Paris (too bad, I have to stay home for my work-related stuff are stucked here). In a way, mom was a bit sablay with her thought--that I don't fit in such a fashionable industry. Yes, I am into corporate writing and into the corporate world but the glamour of my job is still there. To think of it, I see my editors and others the same way--just like those glamorous girls and guys in the celebrity-immersed world. The place where I do my freelance work is really heaven (read: beautiful) that it's a choice for those shoots and important events; thus VIP's are a normal sight.

Now who says writing is all about danger? I don't think so. Yes, I didn't become a sportscaster as I once wanted but I know with every article my bosses approve and with every assignments I finish, Dad (and Mom) are happy.

On that note, keep yourselves posted on the episodes of Lovers in Paris and get the glimpse of this haven.

photos courtesy of MMLDC Facebook account.

-->


0 comments

Thank you for dropping by and taking a peak on my thoughts. This page is for your comments.